Scarecrow Retractable Fangs will fit a variety of users in a variety of ways. No mouth is the same as any other, and, we’re not used to working in our mouths, so getting your Retractable Fangs installed may take some time and a few tries.
HELPFUL TIPS BEFORE GETTING STARTED
This is what you're trying to make (Illust. A)
The different parts of your Retractable Fangs (Ilust. B)
Don't worry about the fangs. You'll put then in position later
Don't worry about the band being perfectly level when you install. You will be able to adjust that later. Just get it close to level.
Don't worry about the curvature of the band if it is not close to your bite. You will be able to adjust this later.
Focus on getting a tight fit of the bite cup on your molars, everything else can be adjusted. A tight fit is critical to having your Retractable Fangs work properly.
READ ALL DIRECTIONS THOROUGHLY PRIOR TO STARTING SO YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TRYING TO ACCOMPLISH AND HOW TO GET THERE.
You need - a cup with hot water, a cup with cold water, a metal spoon, toothpick, mirror, & timer.
Remove fang veneers - rotate off band and set aside
Figure out where the mechanism should go over your molars -
3a. Pay attention to the distance of the band from your teeth -
Holding the mechanism with thumb and index finger of your left hand (Illust. C) place the mechanism in your mouth. You want the band to sit properly distanced from your gum line and teeth with some clearance. Illust. D shows the correct distance and Illust. E shows the incorrect distance.
UPS - for steps 3a, 3b, and 9 involving Default
Ups, you will always need to be squeezing
and holding, not just holding, the mechanism
in its actuated (deployed, fangs down) position.
3b. Pay attention to the level of the band -
As you are figuring out what molar you will place the bite cup over, pay attention to the alignment the mechanism with thumb and index finger of your left hand (Illust. C) place the mechanism in your mouth. You want it straight and running at the edge of the gum line. Illust. F shows the correct level position and Illust. G
& H show the incorrect and not level positions. (remember for UPS you need to be squeezing, not just holding.
4. Proceed - Once you are clear on where you will place the mechanism, and how it should be positioned, you can proceed with installation.
5. Get hot water - Half fill a cup of water and heat it in the microwave, or on the stove, approximately 180 degrees (boiling is ok, but you want to let it cool a bit before handling). Immediately place spoon in cup.
6. Melt customizing pellets - Once spoon is hot, remove from water and place molding compound pellets on spoon. When pellets stick to spoon, submerge spoon with pellets into water and leave until they turn clear (Illust. I).
7. Prepping Bite Cup for Installation - When pellets are clear, remove spoon, peel off melted pellets with your fingers and form a small block of the material that fits the bite cup of your mechanism (Illust. J).
8. Install Mechanism - Looking in the mirror, and again using your left hand, locate and place the bite cup on the molars as you practiced in steps 3a & 3b. Push up firmly onto molars paying attention to level alignment of band with gum line as practiced. (For UPS, remember to be squeezing and holding as you install). Hold in place for approximately 90 seconds.
9. Remove, Push, and Remove Obstructions -
Remove - Remove the entire mechanism with thermoplastic attached.
Push - Gently push the molding material that extends above the 3 holes inward approximately 1-2 mm (3/64” to 5/64”) so that the mold fits tighter (Illust. K)
Remove Obstructions - If plastic is obstructing the rectangular hole on the top of the mechanism (Illust L) or the band as it exits the mechanism (Illust M) then you will need to fix that by teasing the plastic out of the way with the toothpick. If not, move on to #9 If the plastic has cooled to the point you cannot clear the plastic with the toothpick then immerse the bite cup with mold into hot water while holding the band for some seconds until it is soft enough to pliable. Be careful not to disturb anything else about the mold.
10. Cool - Place in cup of cold water until plastic turns white.
11. Evaluate - Place customized mechanism back into mouth and evaluate fit and alignment. It should be tight enough to feel stable, and the band should be approximately at the correct height and level. If it is not tight, repeat steps 8 & 9 after submerging the mechanism into the hot water and reforming the fitting material into the small block as you did in step 7.
12. Adjusting the Band
Level - Using your fingers make bends in the band up or down as needed to get it truly level along the gum line (Illust. N & O)
Curvature - Using your fingers make bends in the band inward or outward to better align with the curvature of your bite (Illust. P)
13. Actuation - When levelness and curvature are good, actuate the mechanism by biting. The band should move between the two positions freely.
14. Placing the Fangs - Press the fangs onto the band approximately where you think they would cover your incisor teeth (teeth next to front teeth – not your canines). Put mechanism in mouth. Adjust fangs to best position as needed. If needed, adjust band further.
15. Trimming - Once you are entirely satisfied with the fit and alignment of the mechanism and fangs, trim excess band beyond the outer fang using a nail clipper or scissors. After trimming you can use a nail file (or sandpaper) to file down & smooth the cut surface if necessary, or any other spot that is contacting your gums uncomfortably.
16. Practice - Practice in a mirror to get good at using your new wicked cool Retractable Fangs, and then go totally freak people out!
17. Cleaning & Care - Rinse entire mechanism thoroughly in cool running water after each use. Soak in clear or light colored mouthwash for 3 minutes. Note - these are in your mouth and pick up oral bacteria. You will need to sanitize them as described.